mont blanc guide area bridge changed locations in 1920
Question: At one time, a swing bridge across the Pike Creek on Main Street turned to allow vessels to enter to the back of the Allen Tannery. When did a new double leaf bascule bridge replace it?
Answer: The year was 1920 when the span of the Pike Creek was breached by a new type of bridge, one where the roadway lifted like a draw bridge instead of twisting to allow ships to pass.
Up until the summer of that year, the bridge on Main Street (Sixth Avenue) had a pedestal base. By then,
teams of horses had been banned from the old bridge for a long time.
The Allen Tannery sat on the land where today’s Kenosha Municipal Building stands.
The creek flowed down from the neighborhood of Middle Street (50th Street) and the Chicago and North Western railroad tracks to the area of Lou Perrine’s Gas and Groceries, turning to the southeast.
From there it wrapped around the tannery to the south and into the harbor.
The Kenosha Evening News of June 30, 1920, reported that the old bridge was about to be moved to a new location.
The bridge was to be moved on scows and set up on the abutments at Middle Street to allow traffic onto Simmons Island.